Tuesday, April 24, 2012

White Chocolate Chip Cookies with Speculoos (Biscoff)




Hello friends, and sorry for the delay in action since my first post about a week ago. It hasn't been easy - I've been dying for a free moment in which I could share with you my newest obsession.... SPECULOOS!! The label on the jar declares it to be a "European alternative to peanut butter", but don't be fooled -- this is nothing like peanut butter. No oh no oh no it's not. Yes, it shares its divine caramel exterior with the popular spread, but Speculoos is unrivaled, in a league all its own. For those foodies who have somehow never heard of it, I feel sorry for you - you don't know what you have been missing! Speculoos (or Biscoff, as it is called in many major grocery stores), is slightly thicker than peanut butter, but the real star of the show is its major ingredient - Biscoff cookies! Some of you might know Biscoff cookies as those incredibly addicting airline cookies given out on many Delta flights. Picture a slightly milder form of gingerbread, then picture it ground up and blended with milk and other ingredients to form a gingerbread spread. I can't even begin to describe to you how addicting this is except by denoting that I eat it plain, with a spoon, straight out of the jar every morning when I wake up and every afternoon when I come home from school. I went through an entire jar in one week. ONE. WEEK. And so, I knew I would have to find a way to bake with it! Finding a dessert worthy of my Speculoos was not difficult, but options were limited due to its status as a relatively recent novelty. Finally, I decided not to be picky and just go with it - thus, these cookies were born! The recipe is adapted from picky-palate.com, but as always (and you will begin to see this as I post more often) I add my own special twist - homemade brown sugar! This cookie is really something special, and the molasses in the brown sugar really adds that personal kick and extra moistness. All friends who tried this cookie swooned, and I mean SWOONED, and one called it "sex in her mouth". Lovely, right? So I guess you'd better make this, although you might have to deal with the embarassing reactions of friends caught off guard by its amazingness. Go on, I dare you.



Recipe
adapted from Picky-Palate

2 sticks butter, salted or unsalted (although I prefer/usually use salted)

1 c. granulated sugar

1 c. brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 tbspn. pure vanilla extract, or vanilla paste

4 cups all-purpose flour (I used 2 c. all-purpose, and 2 c. whole wheat to make it "healthier")

1 tspn. baking soda

1 tspn. salt

1 package of white chocolate chips

approx. 2 cups biscoff spread



Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

1) Beat butter and both sugars in a medium to large bowl until well-combined. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until fully incorporated.

2) In a separate bowl, stir together all dry ingredients - the flour, baking soda, and salt - until combined.

3) Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until fully combined. Then add the chocolate chips!

4) With a medium cookie scoop (although I didn't have one, so I just used an ice cream scooper), scoop walnut-sized mounds of cookie dough onto the baking sheet. Place your thumb in the center of each cookie dough ball to flatten it slightly and create a slight crater, in which you will place the speculoos! Fill each crater with about one tablespoon of speculoos. Cover each cookie dough/speculoos mound with another scoop of cookie dough. Bake for 12-15 minutes, and enjoy with milk.

Bon appetit!!



No comments:

Post a Comment